[Dragaera] Cycle Turnings

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Tue Sep 19 12:42:29 PDT 2006

Going through my notes on a prospective Lyorn Records article on Cycle
turnings, I've noticed a trend in the order in which the Great Houses
assume leadership of the Empire.

It seems that the general temperment of the Houses tends to alternate
between a more aggressive/impetuous, and a more restrained approach to
life.

For example, The House of Dragon, known for their short tempers and bold,
decisive manuevering, are immediately followed by the Lyorn, known for
their bookwormishness and conservatisim.

This seems to follow the same pattern all through the cycle: Lyorn is
followed by impetuous Tiassa, followed by the reserved, observant Hawk.
Then is the firey and impulsive Dzur, followed by the calm and steadying
Issola. Tenacious Tsalmoth leads to reserved Vallista, leads to vicious
Jhereg, leads to conservative and staid Iorich. Predatory Chreotha to
patient Yendi, Bullying Orca to meek Teckla. Dynamic Jhegaala to bookish
Athyra.

Phoenix seems to be a bit of each, really, but Phoenix is special in the
Cycle in any number of ways, so this is really no surprise.

This shifting back and forth makes me wonder how often the turning of the
Cycle is accompanied with violent revolt, as compared with a passive
turnover of power.

Is there more likely to be a violent coup when the Cycle changes from
Lyorn to Tiassa, or when it changes from Dzur to Issola? Is the Teckla
Republic born in violence, or overthrown by it? Or both?