[Dragaera] the Demon?

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Wed Aug 2 14:07:44 PDT 2006

"Casey Rousseau" <casey at the-bat.net>
Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
08/02/06 12:49 PM

<dragaera at dragaera.info>
cc

Subject
Re: [Dragaera] the Demon?

>>Was that statement made before or after Sethra Lavode was written?
>
>Shortly after the release of Lord of Castle Black(1).  The explicit
>formulation was made in response to someone who was surprised by the
>identity revelation early in that volume.  I forget whether SL was
>complete at that point.  I'm thinking it was drafted at the least.
>
>Certainly, Steve has left himself plenty of wiggle room.
>
>(1) http://cracksandshards.com/books.html#table (Thanks to Mark M.)

I'm always amused by the line in /Five Hundred Years After/, where Paarfi
talks about "Greycat", and dismisses the notion that he is secretly
Jurabin, or Pel, or anyone else in the novel:

[Cite]

"We now give the reader our word that, in general, if we are withholding
information, it is only because that information was not then available to
any of these through whose eyes we are witnessing the unfolding of this
history; and in specific, Greycat has not and will not appear anywhere in
these pages under another guise. With this firmly established, let us now
move on."

[/Cite]

That line always struck me as being aimed at people, in general, and on
this list, specifically, who like to speculate about who might really be
whom...

Note that he very carefully words it to allow Greycat to be someone who
might have appeared in a PREVIOUS novel...