[Dragaera] javelin shooters (no spoilers)

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Mon Aug 7 07:40:06 PDT 2006

"Mark A. Mandel" <thnidu at yahoo.com>
Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
08/06/06 02:47 PM

Louis Eastman <almagaiz at gmail.com>, Jon Lincicum <lincicum at comcast.net>
cc
Dragaera list <dragaera at dragaera.info>
Subject
Re: [Dragaera] javelin shooters (no spoilers)

>What follows is all my own opinion.
>
>These ARE bows and arrows, but Vlad has never seen them before, and to
the
>Dragaerans they are less familiar than javelins. A (comparatively) recent
>invention, in fact, so they are still called by a name reflecting their
>derivation.

I think I take issue with the idea that bow-and-arrow are in any way
"recent" inventions.

This is based on the fact that apparently Dragaeran conventional warfare
has not really changed very much over the Eons.

The impact of improvements/changes in the use of sorcery seems to be the
primary driver in changing tactics of warfare. (See Kiera's discussion
with Vlad about Spell-sticks, flashstones, etc in /Orca/.) However, the
primary technological drivers for change in pre-firearm warfare in our own
world were basically threefold:

1. The use of Steel over Bronze/Copper weapons.
2. The advent of mounted cavalry vs chariots/battle-wagons.
3. The constant improvements in armor technology vs bow/crossbows meant to
defeat the armor.

Now, given the fact that Zerika I and Kieron had forced the Serioli smiths
to reveal the secrets of weapon-metal at the dawn of the Empire, I think
we can assume that for the entire history of the Dragaeran Empire it has
been using Steel weaponry.

It is not clear when mounted warriors began to appear in Dragaera, but I
would postulate that they have been around for a long time. (Likely, good
horse stock was stolen from Easterners during Kieron's Great March).

We do know that for about the first four cycles, Sorcery played very
little part in warfare--it was used mainly for illusion and intelligence.
(Lishni's fire-ram (4th cycle) being, presumably, one of the first
examples of an offensive spell.) So, for a good 30,000-50,000 years, the
only types of ranged attacks that would have been possible would have been
conventional ones. (Slings, arrows, etc.)

Then sorcery comes along, and we get spell-sticks, and flashstones, and
all sorts of alternatives for ranged attacks. This caused armor to fall
out of favor in battle, but, I would say it is likely, the same factors
that caused armor to fall out of favor also caused the primary *need* for
armor (defense vs projectiles) to fall out of favor, as well.

So, we're left with the battle between armorers/bowmakers. Did Dragaerans
really have steel weapons and mounted warriors for tens of thousands of
years without developing the comparitively simple (stone-age) concept of
the bow-and-arrow? OR, as seems more likely, is the apparent "recent
development" of "javelin shooters" really just represent a "re-invention"
of technology that (prior to the Interregnum) had become obsolete (due to
the prevelence of sorcerous attacks and defenses)?

Majikjon

>Maybe the Easterners use them and have independent names for them in at
>least some of their languages. But these experienced and learned Dragon
>soldiers know them as a way to shoot (little) javelins.

Likely, the whole development of weapons/tactics in the east has been
substantially different, given the absence of sorcery.

>IMHO (he said redundantly) this "mistranslation" is a clever way for SKZB
>to tell us all this.

Agreed.