[Dragaera] Dzur- Possible spoilers (A question of editing)

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Wed Aug 9 09:37:04 PDT 2006

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17

Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>
Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
08/09/06 09:29 AM

cc
dragaera at dragaera.info
Subject
Re: [Dragaera] Dzur- Possible spoilers (A question of editing)

>Jon_Lincicum at stream.com wrote:
>
>>>"I still had all ten fingers, but let's &c."
>>

>>The ampersand (&) character is a stylized representation of the Latin
word
>>"et".
>>
>>Ergo, when we see &c, we can read this as "etc", which is short for "et
>>cetera", Latin for "and soforth" (approximately).
>>
>>So, the &c is simply a stylistic alternative to etc.
>>

>I never would have guessed that.    But let's replace it and see if it
>makes sense:
>
>"I still had all ten fingers, but let's et cetera".
>
>Nope.

Let's place that in its full context, shall we?

"The last time I was at Valabar's I was--

I was still married, but let's not go there.

I wasn't yet on the Organization's hit list, but let's not go there
either.

I still had all ten fingers, but let's et cetera.

Years. Leave it at that."

While the phrasing is, perhaps, a little clipped, it certainly makes sense
to me. Would probably be a bit clearer if there was a hyphen after the
"let's" and before the "etc", indicating a broken-off thought.