[Dragaera] Chreotha (the book)

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Thu Aug 10 09:35:36 PDT 2006

Casey Rousseau <casey at the-bat.net>
Sent by: dragaera-bounces at dragaera.info
08/10/06 09:06 AM

SKZB List <dragaera at dragaera.info>
cc

Subject
Re: [Dragaera] Chreotha (the book)

>> So, for those who think he has some grand strategy with all the books
mapped out may want to reconsider...

>Oh, he has a grand strategy.  Thing is, he plans to abandon it entirely
>as soon as he stops having fun writing the books.

<grin>

>> To me, the order he writes them in doesn't matter very much, as long as
he makes it interesting (which he does).

>I'm confident that we won't see any books where Steve fails to make it
>interesting.  As I stated above, if Vlad's story no longer holds Steve's
>interest, he's said that he will stop writing them.

I agree. Which is good. The only problem would be if he suddenly looses
his ability to determine what's interesting and what isn't.

But I don't really see this happening. He seems like a pretty interesting
guy.

>> The "House" focus of some of the books is really rather loose in any
case.

>I'd say that it's been consistently fairly strong, though not always as
>obvious from the surface as it was in Jhereg or Yendi.  What do you
>expect from the "House" focus?  Perhaps you're looking for the wrong
>sort of thing.

Actually, it was mostly /Jhereg/, /Yendi/ (and to a lesser extent /Teckla/
and /Phoenix/) that I don't consider to be tied too strongly to their
Houses.

Sure, there's a Jhereg *in* /Jhereg/, and a Yendi *in* /Yendi/, and there
are superficial nods in the direction of the houses, but they don't really
explore the character of the Houses to the extent that, say, /Dragon/
looks at Dragonlords in general, or /Issola/ talks about Issola.

Phoenix has a fairly interesting chat with Zerika, and the whole "burning
city being reborn" motif, but it's hard to say it really touches on the
character of decadence that the House is known for.

Teckla, on the other hand, is so mired in Vlad's personal life that even
the talk with Paresh and all the politics comes off fairly superficially
to me.
The house association seems to be less in /Dzur/ also, but I'm not quite
sure yet why I think so...