[Dragaera] (no spoilers) The 17 [Great Weapons]

Maximilian Wilson wilson.max at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 16:57:13 PDT 2006

On 8/11/06, Jon Lincicum <lincicum at comcast.net> wrote:
> But the cycle was there all the time, influencing events. It was *fate*,
> the fate of the Cycle itself, that influenced the events to cause there
> to be 17 houses instead of 16 (or 31, or 35, or whatever other number
> you might find Paarfi waxing on about). This is *my* theory, anyway.

Recall, though, that the Cycle is a set of 17 specific houses in a
sequence, as opposed to merely the idea of 17 houses. So if you buy
into the idea of the Cycle causing the number of tribes to shrink to
17, you might as well postulate that the Cycle selectively wiped out
any tribes not listed on itself, and then spawned a tribe to match the
one house of the Cycle not created as a Jenoine experiment. You might
go even further and postulate that, if the Cycle is older than
Dragaera, that the Cycle was manipulating events all along to ensure
that e.g. winged cats called tiassa would evolve on Dragaera, Jenoine
would create intelligent jhereg, etc.

Color me a Cycle-skeptic.

-Max

--