[Dragaera] [Dzur spoiler] Possible crack in the orb & Aliera's personality

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 21:16:57 PDT 2006

On 8/12/06, Philip Hart wrote:

> It's "okra", and as far as I know not used in Fenarian cooking,
> though I can well imagine it would go well in Hungarian stews.

I know that okra is a vegetable, but I did a dictionary search just
now to see where it is native to.

[begin cites]
tall coarse annual of Old World tropics widely cultivated in southern
United States and West Indies for its long mucilaginous green pods
used as basis for soups and stews;
[or]
A tall tropical Asian annual plant (Abelmoschus esculentus) widely
cultivated in warm regions for its edible, mucilaginous green pods.
[or]
Etymology: of African origin; akin to Ibo ókùrù okra
1 : a tall annual herb (Abelmoschus esculentus) of the mallow family
that is cultivated for its mucilaginous green pods used especially in
soups or stews;
[end cites]

(NB: "Asian", above, appears to be incorrect; more detailed
descriptions assert that the plant originated in Africa)

I am of the opinion that anything whose description includes the word
"mucilaginous" does not belong in one's diet unless starvation is
imminent.  And even then, if it were me, I would think real hard on
how much I would mind starving to death.

I guess I'm just finicky that way.