[Dragaera] [Dzur Spoilers] On a criticized conversation

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 16:42:05 PDT 2006

On 8/13/06, Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Aug 2006, Davdi Silverrock wrote:
>
> > On 8/13/06, Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
> > > The
> > > water
> > > is
> > > wide,
> > > can
> > > not
> > > get
> > > o'er.
> > > Nor
> > > have
> > > wings
> > > that
> > > will
> > > carry
> > > me
> > >

> > > I think "your friend Kiera" might be a crack.  Possibly this is like
> > > my wife saying to me, "Your son just keeps eating and eating", but
> > > I doubt it.  It's inconsistent with _Orca_ as I understand it.
> >
> > What do you mean?
>
> I claim that Cawti and Kiera consider each other friends, based on _O_.

Ah.  I understand your quibble now, but I think your wife's usage
points at the emotional context: Cawti is expressing minor irritation
at Kiera for her theoretical action, presumably in that if Kiera was
the one who told Vlad, then she (Kiera) would have been performing a
certain betrayal of information that Cawti would have preferred to be
confidential. Indeed, I can see Cawti saying to Vlad "your friend
Aliera", if/when she found out that Aliera had been the one to
initiate contact with Vlad to help Cawti out with her Jhereg problems.

I think Cawti would still consider Kiera her friend, and Aliera as
well of course.

Say, I just thought of a possible fixup for my problem with Aliera's
behavior when Vlad first speaks to her in /Dzur/:  Perhaps Aliera
*hadn't* contacted Mario, but rather, Kiera found Mario and implied
(or stated outright) that Aliera wanted for him to contact Vlad
regarding Cawti's troubles, leading to the conversations that went the
way we saw.

And as for why Kiera did something so roundabout, well, perhaps the
Jhereg trouble is one of the things that Cawti asked Kiera not to tell
Vlad, but Kiera figured that Vlad really ought to know, and decided to
finesse the restriction.

It would have been easy for Kiera to steal the note from Madame
Triesco to pass on to Mario.