[Dragaera] Surname Pharadox ( Spoiler, Jhereg)

Scott scott at cjhunter.com
Thu Aug 17 08:11:08 PDT 2006

>wouldn' t that mean that there two other lines that can
>create Amorphia, Dolivar's and Aliera's which her past
>name is never given.

Yes, and the evidence we have of it is that Vlad can do it by virtue of
bearing Dolivar's reincarnated soul. A fact that rather implies that
"genetics" doesn't neccesarily mean the same thing to a Dragaeran that it
does to us.

As far as Dolivar passing on the gift, that's an interesting speculation.
For now, we'd have to file it under "not enough information". Given that
there don't appear to be a bunch of Jhereg running around bearing the
E'Kieron genes and summoning Amorphia right and left, it's not too awfully
improbable that Dolivar simply died without having any offspring. Dragaerans
reproduce slowly and infrequently by all appearances (a good thing given
their lifespans) so it wouldn't be that surprising if Dolivar had done all
the reproduction he cared to do before he was expelled from the Dragon clan
(not sure you could call it a House yet at that time).

It's also possible that there are, in fact, a whole bunch of Jhereg with
recessive E'Keiron Amorphia genes just waiting for that one-in-a-million
chance to hook up correctly to produce an Amorphiac Jhereg child. That would
certainly be a scandal, now, wouldn't it...

>Also during that same conservation Aliera says thats Morrolan is unable
>to use pre-Empire sorcery, Sethra and many others in the Romances could
>use it, what does that mean?

I think you may have misunderstood, but I don't have a book nearby to check.
I'm pretty sure that if Aliera said something like that, she was talking
about the Amorphia summoning ability. In fact, the stolen book that Mellar
returned to Morrolan, which got him an invitation to stay for 17 days or
whatever it was, was an ostensibly illegal book about pre-Empire sorcery.
Morollan couldn't do the Amorphia summoning trick that Vlad has pulled a
couple of times, but he would probably be skilled enough to pull a few of
Grita or Tazendra's tricks if he needed to.

>Lastly why did Dolivar betrayed them, Aliera says
>by the time he trun traitor he was no longer considered a brother, but
>before that it said that he was torture and than expelled but not if he
>was exiled than turn traitor, was that killed/ set up Kieron?

I think we have to chalk this up again to "not enough information".
Unfortunately, Sethra's memories of some of the events in question tend to
muddy the waters further rather than provide any illumination. Unless Sethra
decides to write a memoir or Vlad becomes a librarian in _Lyorn_ and finds
some really ancient historical records, it may be that we'll never really
know all the facts surrounding Dolivar's checkered past.

As for Aliera's ideas of things, Steve has said that Aliera doesn't know as
much as she thinks she does; a sentiment that Sethra has sort of echoed.