[Dragaera] Dzur Quibbles (spoilers)- also, Issola and Taltos Spoilers -- time line issues

ND Montague ndmontague at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 20 14:59:37 PDT 2006

Hello, I'm a newbie.  As I understand the description,
these question are allowed for the list -- if I
misunderstood, my apologies.  These questions involve
several of the books -- I reread the Vlad and (well,
at least skimmed) most of the V of A books before I
read Dzur.  And now I'm going to reread the Phoenix
Guards and 500 years after.  And then, since Mr. Brust
is writing so slowly, I may have to reread the Three
Musketeers, Twenty Years After, the Vicomte de
Bragelonne and Louise de la Valierre (not really - but
those are actually the Alexandre Dumas books. Possibly
not spelled correctly.)

Also, I didn't see these issues raised previously, but
I just found this list, so apologies if this is
redundant.

Oh, this means that anything that has been revealed
outside of the books I've missed entirely, if there is
anything.

I have some major questions about continuity:

Spoiler Space
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$

In Taltos, Morrolan and/or Sethra state,

1. Aliera's soul had been disembodied, but trapped in
a staff, since shortly after the Interregnum (which
was hundreds of years ago -- I can find the figure but
haven't bothered.)

2. Vlad assisted them in embodying Aliera's soul in
"Taltos" - chronologically the first Vlad adventure.

3. Vlad is an Easterner (homo sapien, I think - or
pretty close) with a life span of 70 years (although
granted I'm not sure how long a year is on this
planet. Still, they all use the same year.)

4. Vlad states (well, thinks) in Dzur that the 20
years the young Dzurlord (I'm not going to go look him
up right now) spent studying wizardry was more than
half his own (Vlad's) lifespan, so Vlad is under 40
years old.

5. I haven't looked for a chronology, but in the
absolute most generous estimate, Vlad's (recorded)
adventures may conceivably have happened over a period
of 20 years.

So, to summarize: In the most generous interpretation
of the timeline, Aliera regained a Dragheran body 20
years ago.

Therefore: How the heck could Kragar have been
introduced to Mario by Aliera -- trapped in a staff at
the time -- 90 years ago? (which he states is what
happened in conversation with Vlad - so is he lying?
Or is there another explanation?  And why wouldn't
Vlad pick up on the discrepancy - this having Verra
mess with his memories allows a lot of leeway to Mr.
Brust, IMO.)

Another point:
Also, in Taltos -- Sethra Lavode stated emphatically -
several times - that she COULD NOT leave Dzur Mountain
at that time

And yet, somehow, Kiera the Thief, who as we learned
in Issola, is Sethra Lavode in disguise, somehow
managed to procure for Vlad tools appropriate for a
thief and train him in their use, and I think it is
safe to assume that this did not happen in Dzur
Mountain.

So, the simplest explanation is that Sethra lied and
was able to leave the mountain -- but why did she lie?

Next: There's the question Mr. Brust raised himself
about why Darkwand, wielded by Morrolan, didn't
obliterate Loraan in Taltos. Presumably that will be
explained. The only 2 possible explanations, based on
what we have been told about Morganti weapons - is
that the sword wound in Loraan's body (spotted by Vlad
when he regained consciousness) wasn't caused by
Darkwand. Or, that the body was not in fact Loraan's
-- twin or clone or simulcrum, perhaps - but one that
came within a hair of defeating Morrolan in battle.

I've been rereading everything in the Vlad series, and
Viscount of Adrilahnka (Sp?) series, preparing for
Dzur, but I didn't realize until very recently how
developed this fandom is. Apparently Aliera is
referenced in the Phoenix Guards/500 Years after. I'll
have to reread them also.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Nancy