[Dragaera] Two complaints (was:title clarification)

Steve Hubbell usagigoya at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 22 17:07:30 PDT 2006

This is as good a moment to express the only two complaints I've had from
twenty-plus years of reading the Vlad Taltos series by Steven Brust.

1. Jhereg, Yendi, Teckla, Taltos, Phoenix, Athyra, and Orca have never
released (or re-released) in hardcover editions (except as SF Bookclub
omnibus editions). From the moment Dragon was released and I saw the
fantastic job Carol Russo did on the dust jacket design, I realized how
deprived I have felt over the lack of hard cover editions of the earlier
books in the series,and just how much I really would like to have those
books in hardcover.

2. Dzur was released, and for whatever "logical' reasoning Tor might have
used, the cool dust jacket layout that was utilized for Dragon and Issola
was disregarded. Sure, similar artwork and letter fonts have still been
used, but the border around the back cover description text has been
discarded, and the layout of the title and image on the spine does not line
up with the two previous books.

I know the true value of the book is contained in the story printed inside,
and that story would be just as enjoyable and entertaining even if it was
printed on un-used toilet paper, but it sure would be nice to buy books in a
favorite series and have the books actually look like the publisher knew
that they were part of a series.

End of gripe session....

Now for a question, which may or may not have been brought up before:
Has Steven Brust ever considered authorizing a series of ltd edition s/n
deluxe hardcover editions (non-omnibus) of the Vlad Taltos books? Something
possibly along the lines of those leather bound Louis L'Amour or Agatha
Christe books which you see advertised through mail order ads. How many
Brust fans on the list here would actually be willing to pay $50 or $100 per
book for a such a set?