[Dragaera] Dzur spoiler, Plastering over a minor Crack

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 23:14:37 PDT 2006

On 8/27/06, Ben Hiles wrote:
> On 8/27/06, Davdi Silverrock wrote:
> > Really a very minor spoiler, but hey, any excuse to quote more about
> > Sir Eglamore.
> >
> > When
> > she
> > saw
> > Sir
> > Eglamore,
> > You
> > should
> > have
> > hear
> > that
> > dragon
> > roar
> > Fa la la-n-fa,
> > da-n-da da-n-fa,
> > lanky down dilly.
> >

> > Way back in /Yendi/, Vlad says:
> >
> > "I helped myself to a large glass of brandy, which I despise"
> >
> > And yet as we see in /Taltos/ and other books, he does actually love
> > good Fenarian brandy.
> >
> > In /Dzur/, Vlad tells us:
> >
> > [begin cite]
> >
> > I treated myself to a Fenarian peach brandy called Oregigeret, [...]
> > It was wonderful.  The Dragaerans have brandy, too, though they don't
> > call it that.  And it's right that they don't call it brandy, because
> > if you like brandy, you won't like the stuff they distill.  When it
> > came to brandy, I was an Easterner.
> >
> > [end cite]
>
> I'm not really sure I see that as a crack.  In Yendi he is at Castle
> Black, so he probably got Dragaerian brandy, which he says in Dzur he
> doesn't like.  What he does like Fenarian brandy.

You misunderstand.  It was a minor contradiction or crack between the
wording in /Yendi/  and the depiction in /Taltos/ before /Dzur/ was
published.  While it was a reasonable and parsimonious inference that
Vlad liked Fenarian brandy as something that was distinct from
Dragaeran brandy, it wasn't stated so explicitly anywhere.  Now that
/Dzur/ is published, with the explicit explanation that brandy made by
Dragaerans is despicable, and tastes unlike Fenarian brandy, the crack
is closed.

That's all I meant.  I said it was minor.