[Dragaera] Broken dialogues in Dzur

Peter H. Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Mon Aug 28 09:27:35 PDT 2006

At 10:56 AM 8/28/2006, Jon_Lincicum at stream.com wrote:

> >kindly lurker dug up the evidence I wanted, and more:
> >
> >> Pg 226, with the only textev of who's talking being the two "I said"s -
> >> parenthetical names added by me:
> >> "For one thing, Terion," I said. (Vlad)
> >> "What about him?" (Kragar)
> >> "He's pushing for the number one spot on the council." (Vlad)
> >> "Okay.  And?" (Kragar)
> >> "He's enlisted the help of the Left Hand." (Vlad)
> >> "How did he do that?" (Kragar)
> >> "His mistress is one of them." (Vlad)
> >> "Ah." (Kragar)
> >> "How is--" (Kragar)
> >> "By gaining control of South Adrilahnka." (Vlad)
> >> "Why there?" (Kragar)
> >> "It's the most lucrative area that's up for grabs.  They're already
>fighting
> >> for it.  I mean, the Jhereg.  I mean, the Right Hand." (Vlad)
> >> "Bodies turning up?" (Kragar)
> >> "No," I said... (Vlad)
> >
> >Which is what I was thinking of.  She also gave me something I'd noticed
> >but forgotten quickly:
> >
> >> The other one is pg 231:
> >> "Vlad, have you been hanging out with Sethra?" (Kragar)
> >> "Okay, sorry.  Anyway, because Terion has gotten involved in South
> >> Adrilahnka.  It's become a battleground." (Vlad)
> >> "Yes you mentioned one other was involved.  The one I'm supposed to
>find out
> >> about." (Kragar)
> >> "How do I find you once I know?" (Kragar)
> >> "Ugh.  Good question.  There's a shoemaker named Jakoub..." (Vlad)
> >>
> >> The second reading, I went through specifically looking for them.
> >> It's the one thing I seriously wish the proofreaders would catch.
> >
> >Amen!  Like I said, I'm pretty sure other books have had these, but I'm
> >not going to searching.  And they're not due to get a new edition soon.
>
>hmm. Maybe I'm weird, but neither of these really bother me. It's
>relatively clear from context who's saying what, and I think it preferable
>to have it this way, rather than interrupting the flow of conversation
>with "Kragar said" and "I replied" and so forth.

I feel that when what one person says is broken into two quotations
as with Kragar above, that this one instance could stand to have
something indicate that it is the same person speaking:

"His mistress is one of them."
"Ah."  Kragar paused.  "How is--"
"By gaining control of South Adrilankha."

Something similar in the other instance.

--
Regards, Pete
pgranzeau at cox.net