[Dragaera] Breaking the Cycle - Genetic Purity

Gaertk at aol.com Gaertk at aol.com
Mon Aug 28 17:05:43 PDT 2006

"Maximilian Wilson" <wilson.max at gmail.com> writes:

>[Cochran's idea is that if you take evolution seriously, not many
>diseases can be genetic in origin because they'd quickly get bred out
>of the gene pool; therefore we should be looking for environmental
>causes like pathogens, which are transmitted independently of host DNA
>and therefore not subject to evolutionary pressure in the same way.]

That only works if the disease is the sort that would prevent you
from reproducing.  My parents lived 60+ years and had three kids
before finding out Dad was born with a defective heart valve and Mom
had a cyst growing in her brain.

Konrad Gaertner - - - - - - - - - - - - - - email: gaertk at aol.com
http://kgbooklog.livejournal.com/
"I don't mind hidden depths but I insist that there be a surface."
                          -- James Nicoll