[Dragaera] [Dzur Spoiler] Mistaken Identity

Jon_Lincicum at stream.com Jon_Lincicum at stream.com
Tue Aug 29 07:55:07 PDT 2006

Illista
Aliera
Neorenti
Roaana
Cohra of Lastchance
Ibronka
Teldra
Oidwa
Carver
Kiera
Belly
Deppian
Casement
Vonnith
Eaner
Cherova

Re-reading /Dzur/, I paid close attention to the portion where Triesco and
Crithnak get muddled together, and think I may have an explanation that
works for the story.

The only conversation where he talks about Crithnak as "Terion's Lover" is
his talk with Kragar, where he's throwing out his half-formed ideas, and
Kragar is shooting them down.

He states that he needs "Terion's Lover" killed (when, in fact, he needs
Crithnak killed, who is *not* Terion's lover, but rather the sister of the
sorceress whose soul he destroyed earlier).

He seems to think that this will "Draw out" Terion.

Interestingly, he never actually names Triesco during this conversation,
and in the part where he talks about "Terion's Lover" he doesn't mention
her name either... Just referring to "The woman I need killed." (Though
Crithnak's name does come up earlier in the conversation.)

Fortunately, Kragar forces him to re-evaluate this plan, since it likely
wouldn't have worked the way Vlad thought it would.

It appears Vlad simply got confused about who was who--but since his plan
changed, it didn't end up mattering.

This explanation doesn't require anyone to be confused about identities
other than Vlad--since Kragar doesn't know the difference between the two
women, he's just taking Vlad's word for everything, and no one else's
Terion's mistress, and Crithnak to be the dead sorceresses sister.

Since Vlad was in the middle of having a mess of "new" memories dumped on
him,  was fighting for his life under a lot of stress, had a new presence
(Teldra) muddling around in his head, and was (as usual) pretty much just
making things up as he goes, this kind of non-critical mistake is somewhat
understandable.

Majikjon

Of course, it seems pretty clear that it wasn't just Vlad that got
confused on this point, but our author as well. If there's a way to revise
this chapter before the paperback version of the book ships, the
conversation with Kragar would probably make a lot more sense... And
wouldn't need elaborate explanations from fans about why it's okay...