[Dragaera] Boing!

Joshua Kronengold mneme at io.com
Wed Sep 6 08:35:40 PDT 2006

Davdi Silverrock writes:
>"Faerie", in the context of Dragaera, means one thing.  In the broader
>context of most fantasy, it means something very different indeed.

Actually, in the broad context of fantasy (as opposed to mainstream)
it's pretty accurate -- Dragaerans are very close to what traditional
"Thomas the Rhymer" fairies would be like if run through a Raymond
Chandler blender.

Fantasy readers (as opposed to mainstream ones) think Books of Magic,
Thomas the Rhymer, Tam Lin, Stardust, and Tithe when they think of
"Faerie", not Tinkerbell and fairy godmothers.

(that said, I haven't gotten around to reading Doctorow's review yet).

--
       Joshua Kronengold (mneme@(io.com, labcats.org)) |\      _,,,--,,_  ,)
--^--   "Did you know, if you increment enough, you   /,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'