[Dragaera] [Dzur Spoiler] A terribly amusing Speculation

Maximilian Wilson wilson.max at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 15:08:43 PDT 2006

On 9/11/06, Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Davdi Silverrock wrote:
>
> > On 9/11/06, Maximilian Wilson wrote:
> > > [spoiler space]
> > > .
> > > .
> > > .
> > > .
> > > .
> > > .
> > > .
> > > .
> > > .
> > > .
> > > .
> > > .
> > > .
> > > .
> > > .
> > > .
> > > .

> > > Problem: that leaves Kragar, and not Mario, as Aliera's paramour.

> In my version, Sethra/Aliera off Tortaalik and blame a phantom Mario.
> Or rather a guy Aliera has a thing for, because he's got some
> extraordinary qualities and a sense of humor.
>
> Then Kragar comes along and turns out to be an archetypal assassin,
> and he works out a deal with Mario to take on his jobs.

Hmmm. So you're suggesting that it was Kragar who offed Crithnak as
well; that he's his own public face (just like Vlad is, only in this
case his fictional "friend" has a name and an actual identity). Well,
it's not inconsistent with the evidence.

> I think this achieves the desired simplification of the events around
> Tortaalik's death (no Sethra whispering state secrets the moment M happens
> to be hiding in the arras, etc.) at the cost of our understanding what
> M has going for him that Aliera is attracted to.

Heh. Vlad probably doesn't understand why the pretty girl smiles back
at the old man who pinches her, either, and adding in mad skillz on
the old man's part wouldn't explain it anyway.

> I like this, but don't see how it works with Norathar - unless she was
> compelled to join the Jhereg for reasons Aliera accepts, but Kragar
> wasn't.

Maybe Aliera dislikes Kragar because she can never spot him skulking,
which means he's better at skulking than she is at spotting. Given her
superiority complex, this would seem to be sufficient provocation.

-Max

--
Be pretty if you are,
Be witty if you can,