[Dragaera] [Dzur Spoilers] On Name Cracks

Will Frank wmfrank at stwing.org
Thu Oct 5 16:47:23 PDT 2006

Here's some spoiler space...

Phoenix

Dragon

Lyorn

Tiassa

Hawk

Dzur

Issola

Tsalmoth

Vallista

Jhereg

Iorich

Chreotha

Yendi

Orca

Teckla

Jhegaala

Athyra

Phoenix

Okay. I've just finished _Dzur_--which I enjoyed, and I'd give a fortune to
eat at Valabar's--and have been ruminating on the Crithnak/Triesco Crack
regarding the commission Vlad gives Mario.

First, it seems to me that fixing it, if that's the plan, may not be easy.
It's not a one-line--the name assignment carries through for most of the
conversation with Kragar.

Second, I don't know that it /needs/ to be fixed. Yes, the conversation
seems to be built on that approach, but...both times Crithnak is referred
to as Terion's mistress, it's to or by Kragar.

Has the thought occurred to anybody that Vlad's lying through his teeth--or,
to be more polite, he's obscuring the truth to protect Kragar or possibly
just not tell him he's (Vlad) made more enemies?

Frankly, Terion will still be pissed--as a function of Triesco being pissed,
and of losing now two of the sorceresses helping him--if Crithnak is
killed. And Vlad would probably want Triesco to be alive, as likely higher
up in the grand scheme of things, in order to force the deal down the Left
Hand's throats, or Terion's, whoever he can leverage against the other.

It's confusing, yes, but is it a Crack?

Will "scifantasy" Frank - wmfrank at stwing.org
"What's that about?"
  "Oh, probably just another of the subpoenas I sent out."
"For what?"
  "Donald Rumsfeld."
--Elliot Stabler and Casey Novak, "Goliath"