[Dragaera] [Dzur Spoilers] very randomly

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Sat Oct 7 12:57:15 PDT 2006

Davdi Silverrock wrote:
> On 10/7/06, Jon Lincicum wrote:
>

>> Teldra, for her part, is almost as concerned about Vlad's safety as he
>> is about hers--hence she attempts to intervene when he's getting himself
>> into danger with his mouth. This has nothing to do with trusting or not
>> trusting him.
>>

> And here I disagree.  Trust is based on assessing not just basic
> integrity but also character, and competence.
>
> If Vlad's character is one that enjoys being a smartass, then
> obviously Teldra does not trust him to restrain himself at times when
> being a smartass is inappropriate, and thus exerts herself to restrain
> him.

Well, but is Vlad ever truly putting himself into real danger? It seems
to me that Teldra's influence on Vlad is more prevent him from
experiencing needless suffering, rather than actually saving his life.
Vlad himself is willing to put up with needless suffering, since he
enjoys being a smartass--but Teldra is constantly  reminding him that
seeing him suffer actually causes *her* to suffer, which usually causes
him to back off.

Perhaps what I'm really saying here is that yes, she trusts him
utterly... Conditionally. On certain points. What I would define as the
important matters, such as life or death. moral or immoral, &c. She may
not trust him to keep himself out of needless trouble--but just how
critical is this lack of trust in the grand scheme of things? And does
that really impact his fitness to judge other's souls?

> Since the question is one of judging souls, I think an important
> consideration for Teldra is whether Vlad has any competence in that
> area, and whether he has the character to do so properly.

I think the answer to that question is rather thoroughly explored in
their exchanges in /Issola/. She contends that he always knows how to
act appropriately. This seems to be a rather ringing endorsement of his
fitness to judge others.