[Dragaera] "Work" and money

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 09:27:35 PDT 2006

On 10/13/06, Philip Hart wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Oct 2006, Davdi Silverrock wrote:
>
> > Anyway, I would guess that Vlad is simply not in the habit of
> > divulging a whole lot about the state of his own finances, and doesn't
> > do a whole lot of asking about the finances of those he cares for,
> > either.  And Cawti would presumably be the same way. Each of them
> > probably suspects a lot about the state of the other's finances, but
> > might very well not know for sure.
>

> I think in a marriage rich/not-rich is going to become apparent.

Well, "not-rich", yes.  Not being able to pay for treats could be a
big warning sign; not being able to pay for necessities would be a
huge red flag. But how rich is rich?  If Cawti is able to pay for her
share of treats and necessities, all Vlad would know is that she's at
least as rich as he is.  He would never know it if she were a great
deal richer, assuming she was never ostentatious about how rich she
really was.

> For that matter isn't it the custom to just leave money lying
> around?  Would Cawti not have a sackful of gold in the guest
> bedroom, assuming she doesn't have an office?

*blink* I don't recall any such casual stockpile being ever referred to.
Vlad did say in /Orca/ that of he ever came into some extra cash, he
would deposit it with a Jhereg moneylender.  I don't know how truthful
he was being about that.