[Dragaera] "Work" and money

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 20:00:47 PDT 2006

On 10/16/06, Howard Brazee wrote:
> Davdi Silverrock wrote:

> >>I guess you believe assassins are a subclass of those people who have
> >>all the money they will ever want.
> >>

> >I don't see how you can infer that from what I wrote.  The case of
> >"want the money for themselves" includes those who just want more
> >money.

> I'm responding to the top line above.

The top line was a rhetorical question [1], so that I could respond
with the answers that immediately followed so to cover various
possibilities.  And "some other motivation" covers pretty much
anything and everything, including the greed and achievement-addiction
you suggested below.

Perhaps I could have worded it a bit better so as to make it clear
that the use of "or" was not meant to be exclusive.

>    People take on new high-paid jobs until they are tired.
>    More money and more achievements are addictive.

That's no doubt true of some assassins.  I certainly wouldn't rule out
sociopaths like Tom Cruise's character Vincent in "Collateral" as
having that motivation, for example.

However, Cawti is not otherwise portrayed as a greedy
adrenaline-addict thrill-killing sociopath, and it is her character I
was trying to analyze.