[Dragaera] "Work" and money

Maximilian Wilson wilson.max at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 15:31:23 PDT 2006

On 10/17/06, Jon Lincicum <lincicum at comcast.net> wrote:

> Davdi Silverrock wrote:
> > Someone who so easily dehumanizes his murder victims that all he
> > thinks of the process of turning a living, thinking fellow human into
> > a corpse is just a challenge to be enjoyed, is practically the
> > textbook definition of a sociopath.

[snip]

"Killing for money" while hardly admirable, does not require social
> maladjustment--it merely requires greed, and the ability to rationalize
> one's actions. (Vlad
> falls under this category.)

I dunno. Vlad started out as an ideological killer--he killed Dragaerans
because he hated them. The money was a bonus. Now it's no longer clear what
he is, but then again he's not really an assassin any more either.

At one point, Vlad rubs Cawti's nose in the fact that he never took a
contract on an Easterner. It is an interesting question whether the old Vlad
would have accepted such a contract had one been offered.

Was Robert E. Lee a sociopath? Is Morrolan a sociopath?

Arguably. :) I laughed out loud at Vlad's reply to the question, "What would
you do if someone was threatening Morrolan with a Morganti weapon?"

-Max Wilson

--
Be pretty if you are, be witty if you can,
But be cheerful if it kills you.

Everything in Windows is very simple, but the simplest thing is difficult.
    -Clauswitz