[Dragaera] Naming someone as a relative

A.S. Zanoni chica at dreamcafe.com
Mon Oct 23 15:40:30 PDT 2006

Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 21:06:00 -0700
From: "Davdi Silverrock" <davdisil at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Dragaera] Vlad: son/not son of Verra?

On 10/22/06, Jon Lincicum  wrote:

 > > We'll see. (Or maybe we won't, and Steve will just keep us
guessing, but my money says Verra *is* in fact Vlad's real
mother...Whether he ever learns about it or not.)

Context for newbies:  It has been speculated that Vlad is actually
Verra's son.  There is absolutely no textual or external evidence for
this (that is, SKZB has neither confirmed nor denied this
speculation).  I presume people are just going by a few misinterpreted
phrases here and there (like Devera referring to "Uncle" Vlad), and
perhaps some general hint of odd chemistry in the interaction between
VtDG & VT.

See also:
http://dragaera.wikia.com/wiki/Speculation:Vlad_Taltos#Vlad.27s_Mother

So Jon is a pro-Vlad-is-Verra's-son, and I know that Mark Mandel,
despite his intermittent participation, is also very much in favor of
the idea.  So that's two votes in favor.

I think it's all apophenia, myself, and vote absolutely not.

Anyone else want to sound off on where they stand on this particular issue?

------------------------------

Yes.  It is a tradition in some cultures to call someone "uncle" or
"mother" or "grandfather" as a gesture of courtesy.  One does this based
on age, not on actual blood relation.

It is also a longstanding tradition in fairy tales.

I suspect, but do not know for certain, that this fell out of use in
America sometime in the past century or so.

Now, I am not saying anything specific about Devera's case in
particular.  =big grin=  I should like to draw your attention to that
tradition, though.

Just doing my part to stir the pot.

Chica*---

---