[Dragaera] Your Favorite Vlad Books?

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Fri Oct 27 16:05:34 PDT 2006

Holmes, Erik wrote:
> So I just finished reading Phoenix for about the 10th time. Great book.
> I don't know if it's my favorite of all of the Vlad books, but it sure
> is close. Just out of curiosity which of the Vlad books do you guys like
> best? I think if I had to list them it would be as follows:
>
> Taltos - I love the adventures of young Vlad Taltos
> Phoenix - This book is just great. Maybe I should move it to the #1 spot :)
> Issola - Loved the ending.
> Dragon - "Fornia sobbed."
> Jhereg
> Yendi
> Teckla
> Dzur
> Orca
> Athyra
>

> This list might change around a bit as I re-read them, but I think its
> pretty close.
It's strange, but the first time I read through them, I probably would
have put the early books right at the top of the list...

Having gone through the whole series about 5 times now in various
orders, however, I find that the later books are much more interesting
stories. Maybe not so much instant gratification as in the early books,
but I suspect this is why they have better staying power.

My current order would have to be as follows:

1. Athyra - The first time through, this was my least favorite, by far,
but I've really come to realize that this one book probably has more to
say than just about all of the others put together. It really is a
masterpiece.

2. Issola - Can't beat it for sheer humor, and also has a lot to say.
The interaction between Vlad and Teldra makes this book.

3. Dragon - Another fun one, but Vlad's conversations with his messmates
are what really give this book staying power.

4. Phoenix - Vlad finally comes face to face with his demons (and his
Demon Goddess). A pivotal point in his career, and tough to rank any
lower than this.

5. Dzur - Not as grand in scope as some of the others (notably /Issola/
and /Phoenix/) but woven with subtle thematic elements that you might
not catch the first time through.

6. Orca - A well constructed murder mystery, complete with twist ending.
Typifies the early Vlad books, but executes the style better than any of
the first four.

7. Taltos - Almost a throwaway story, and probably could have been a lot
more meaningful, but it is essential for setting up a lot of the payoffs
for later works.

8. Jhereg - Certainly the best of the first three. Almost no depth to
it, but that wasn't the point of the early books, so that's okay.

9. Teckla - Vlad gets hit in the face with some unpleasant realities,
not as much fun to read as any of the others, but makes some serious
points. This is really the point where the series kicks into gear...
Perhaps the gears grind a little when they shift, but that's probably to
be expected.

10. Yendi - Don't get me wrong, I really do enjoy reading /Yendi/, but
it has next to nothing in the way of meaningful depth, and is spoiled by
the way in which Vlad solves the riddle. (He makes a random guess as to
the culprit, which happens to be exactly right, then works backwards to
figure out the motivations of the villain.) This is definitely one that
could have been better. It's still a fun read, it's just that all the
others are better. Hey, one of them has to be at the bottom.