[Dragaera] Unstoppable Force vs Immovable Object

John Dallman jgd at cix.co.uk
Wed Nov 1 15:44:00 PST 2006

In article <454928D6.3010409 at comcast.net>, lincicum at comcast.net (Jon
Lincicum) wrote:

> I'd say it's far more likely she just gets "Mr. Valabar" (and some
> of his staff) to show up and cook her a meal in the Imperial kitchens
> from time to time. After all, I bet the palace's cooking facilities
> are just as good (if not better than) Valabar's.

I dunno. Have you ever tried doing serious cooking in someone else's
kitchen? How you have it arranged and your knowledge of the exact
behaviour of the equipment (particularly the stove) are really important.

It's something that cooks "inherit" through learning in each other's
kitchens. I learned to cook from my mother, who learned from her mother.
I found my grandmother's kitchen almost unusable, because I couldn't
find anything, while my other could drive it easily, and could drive
mine fairly well because it resembles hers, without resembling
grandmother's very much at all.

Now, the Valabar family have been working in the same kitchen, learning
from each other and optimising the kitchen for the Valabar style, for
many generations. Their bond with its facilities and layout will be
quite extraordinary. Trying to go somewhere else and cook the same would
be quite hard. Sure, someone who left and went to work elsewhere would
adapt over a period of a few weeks - and would be skilful enough that
even their less-than-perfect work with unfamiliar facilities would be
very good.

But trying to /be/ Valabar's in the Imperial Palace would be harder than
it sounds.

---
John Dallman, jgd at cix.co.uk, HTML mail is treated as probable spam.