[Dragaera] Unstoppable Force vs Immovable Object

Martin Wohlert martin_wohlert at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 6 10:31:13 PST 2006

Gaertk at aol.com wrote:

>To: dragaera at dragaera.info
>Subject: Re: [Dragaera] Unstoppable Force vs Immovable Object
>Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 21:51:22 -0500
>
>  "Scott Schultz" <scott at cjhunter.com> writes:
>
> >> Remember, we are not on Earth.   It is possible that the emperor
> >> can take on a persona which is in their society is untouchable, as
> >> everybody pretends not to recognize him "on holiday".
> >
> > That's an unusual enough trait that you'd think we'd have heard
> > about it before this.
>
>We have, in tPG.  Paarfi mentions masks that nobles wear when they want to
>do something that would be inappropiate for someone of their
>station.  He says that nowadays the masks are purely symbolic, but
>back then they were effective at concealing the wearer's identity.
>
>That said, this probably isn't an option for the Emperor, if only
>for security reasons.

Wearing masks used to be quite common. For example, a Swedish king, Gustav
III
was killed at a Maskerade Ball.
As far as I understand it, we also have cases of kings who walk around as
"Count *", and everyone has to pretend it's someone else, even if they
recognise him.
Peter the Great and Gustavus Adolphus comes to mind (at least as examples of
kings in
disguise).

I have no problem with the idea with a Dragaeran Emperor with a "bandit
mask"
going to Valabar's, and everyone treating him like a "common noble"
regardless of the Orb.