[Dragaera] Pastiche-Analogs of /The Three Musketeers/

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 21:52:29 PST 2006

I am hoping for some comments from those who are well-read in both
Brust and Dumas.

This page:

   http://www.speakeasy.org/~mamandel/Cracks-and-Shards/Paarfi_Dumas.html

has most of the important equivalences (and is there a better term
than "pastiche-analog", by the way?),  but I've been reading some of
the Wikipedia pages on the actual history of France in that era, and I
was wondering about some of the more minor analogs.

For example, Tortaalik is obviously Louis XIII in TPG, yet I think it
is correct to say that he also stands for the young Louis XIV in FHYA.
 Or is he Cardinal Mazarin?  Or is Tortaalik of FHYA rather Louis XIV
in his autocratic prime?

I was also wondering about Duke Wellborn in the Paarfi books - does
Louis XIII have a personal confessor in /The Three Musketeers/, and
does this confessor play a similar advisory role?

How about Lytra e'Tenith?  Was there some high-ranking military figure
conspiring with Richelieu (Seodra)?

Could Countess Bellor be an analog of Fouquet?  There's the
implication that in addition to being incompetent, she was throwing
parties in her office (the many chairs, the decorations on the
ceiling), and perhaps even embezzling the Imperial treasury in order
to buy shiny things (were the jewels on her sword just glass and/or
rhinestones, or genuinely expensive gems)?

Any other analogs come to mind that are missed in that comparison page?