[Dragaera] Irresistible Force vs. Immovable Object (Was Re:Unstoppable Force vs Immovable Object)

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 12:17:16 PST 2006

On 11/17/06, Scott Schultz wrote:

> >There's no reason to think Zerika is the only bright mind working for
> >the Empire, so I nearly think you're just reiterating Davdi's original
> >statement: Vlad's evasions worked only because the interrogators were
> >incompetent, uninterested, or bribed.
>
> Y'know, I nearly believe that the most interesting question is "Why was Vlad
> testifying under the Orb?". The Emperor is a busy person, never mind being
> ostensibly the most important person. Testifying under the Orb would be a
> privelege rather than a right, I'd imagine.

No, it's (presumably) a way to discover the truth of some important
matter.  As already repeated several times, Tagichatn was a Duke.  You
might have noted that dukes are usually rather important people -
Adron, Kana, and Morrolan were or are dukes.  In the usual feudal
context of Dragaera, a dukedom implies old money (and lots of it),
political and/or military power, land, family connections, and so on.
Since the nobility presumably watch out for their own, the murder of a
duke is something important enough that it needs to be investigated.

The fact that Tagichatn's title was a flashy bit of status seeking by
someone very low down in the hierarchy is why the actual investigation
was so cursory.  But the very title itself meant that the
investigation had to be carried out in the first place, including
requesting the Empress' time so that the interrogations could be
carried out under the Orb.