[Dragaera] Idle Speculation

Bryan Newell bryann at bryann.net
Wed Jan 10 17:45:23 PST 2007

[Jon]
> Still wondering where the Pel river is located...

"What is the name they call you? It is the name of a valley to the west, is
it not? Kor?"
"Pel."
- The Phoenix Guards, Chapter 16

"he styles himself Pel, after a small river in the northwest."
- The Paths of the Dead, Chapter 28

[Philip]
> Pecans grow in river valleys...

And there you have it.

I have pondered these two quotes for some time as I debate the eternal
question faced by all speculative cartographers:

Am I trying to reproduce the map that's in the author's head, or am I trying
to produce a map that matches what he's said about the world...

If the former, I have to leave the valley/river Pel off of my map due to
insufficient information.

If the latter, I should put it on the map, and as long as it is west of
Dragaera City and in the northwestern portion of the Empire, it matches
exactly what Steve has told us about it.

Bryan