[Dragaera] Verra's knowledge, Vlad's trip East

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Fri Jan 26 09:39:53 PST 2007

Scott Schultz wrote:

>_Brokedown Palace_ takes place at another time and place than any of the
>Vlad books. It's only real connection to them is the setting. The story
>itself is a stylized fairy tale, much as Vlad's stories are a stylized
>hard-boiled detective story and Khaavren's stories are stylized French
>Romances.

Hmmm... Certainly the first two Vlad books are basically "detective stories" (Though I would vote more for "scrambled" rather than "hard-boiled) and basically /Orca/ is, as well.

But the others in the series are something else. I hesitate to call them adventure stories, because they seem a bit too restrained (unlike the Paarfiad) to seem to qualify for this. "Situational Fantasy" perhaps is a good term.

I dunno. But "Detective Story" just doesn't seem to describe /Taltos/, or /Phoenix/, or /Issola/, or /Dragon/. (You might make a case for /Teckla/ or /Dzur/, but these are borderline IMO.)