[Dragaera] Verra's knowledge, Vlad's trip East

healing line helgaleenas at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 27 09:42:33 PST 2007

RE:

Message: 4
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 14:09:01 -0800 (PST)
From: "Vincent J. Cisneros"
Subject: Re: [Dragaera] Verra's knowledge, Vlad's trip East
To: Scott Schultz , dragaera at dragaera.info

--- Scott Schultz wrote:

> I agree that Verra has her ways of knowing things
> and that knowledge of
> Vlad's ancestry would be incidental knowledge. Heck,
> Noish-pa is one of her
> adherents; he taught Vlad to worship her. She
> wouldn't need to set foot in
> Fenario in order to know most everything worth
> knowing about Vlad's family
> line.
>
> >By the way, I think people are accidentally
> misleading Vincent
> >Cisneros about Vlad in the East. /Brokedown
> Palace/ has nothing
> >about it at all--it takes place before our hero is
> born. However,
> >Vlad briefly mentions in /Athyra/ or /Issola/ or
> both (I forget)
> >that he'd been to the East. Beyond that we know
> nothing.
>
> I admit, that I can't make much sense out of the
> paragraph quoted above.
> Jerry, if you're thinking that anyone on the list
> suggested that _Brokedown
> Palace_ was in any way related to Vlad or is a
> chronicle of Vlad's
> adventures in Fenari, that was a misunderstanding.
> It's a separate work from
> the Vladiad and is only recently recognized to be
> "canonical" by Verra's
> off-handed acknowledgement in _Issola_ of the events
> related between its
> covers. "Canonical" is in the eye of the beholder,
> though, as the different
> versions of the story of Fenarr (as told by Vlad,
> Paarfi, and Miklos) show.
>
> _Brokedown Palace_ takes place at another time and
> place than any of the
> Vlad books. It's only real connection to them is the
> setting. The story
> itself is a stylized fairy tale, much as Vlad's
> stories are a stylized
> hard-boiled detective story and Khaavren's stories
> are stylized French
> Romances.
>
> _Brokedown Palace_ is noteworthy in relation to the
> Vladiad because it
> provides some basis for speculation about the
> familial origins of both Vlad
> and Cawti. Emphasis on the word "speculation". ;-)

Thanks Guys!!!

Vincent

  I have to disagree that Brokedown Palace is unrelated to the Vladiad.  It contains both Verra and Devera, and mentions the distincitve pall over the Elf lands.  How exactly the lands are connected is YTD, of course. But the connection is definitely there.

  Who the daughter of Brigit is we are not told.  Could be the mom of Zerika's lover, or Noish-pa's mom, or his wife. Or of Cawti, or Cawti herself. Or none of the above.

  It's true, he uses a very different narrative style in BD that gives it a wonderfully ethnic flavor.

  Steven Zoltan, get back to typing now, this minute!!! the suspense is insupportable.

  helgaleena