[Dragaera] Gambling/Drug Use in a Jhereg Reign

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Wed Feb 7 10:44:43 PST 2007

It's funny, when I picture a Jhereg -> Iorich handover, I tend to conjure up
a Nixon/Watergate situation. The Emperor finally gets his hand into so many
pots that he can't hide the fact any more and some enterprising Iorich
investigator gets him shamed out of office. I kind of doubt that a Jherg ->
Iorich change involves the military very often.

The real question is, "Who runs House Jhereg?" We know that there are
effectively three branches; the aristocracy, the Organization, and the Left
Hand. The Left Hand apparently does mainly their own thing and is more a
part of the House by association than by management of its day-to-day
affairs. The Organization is the business arm. The question, I suppose, is
whether the aristocracy (those titled but not ostensibly involved in the
Organization, such as the Imperial Representative) is the titular leader of
the House or whether the Organization is the force in charge.

If the Organization is in charge, then we can assume that they have a
certain amount of influence with the Jhereg Emperor as well. I wouldn't be
surprised if the members of the Council tended to have a lot of contingency
plans in place to protect the House in the event of the Emperor getting
booted out of office.

In fact, I'd imagine that there has been a couple of instances of the
Council betraying the Emperor and helping the Iorich take the throne because
it was an advantageous time for it from House Jhereg's point of view. What
better way to start the reign of an extremely law-minded administration than
to assist in rooting out the corruption in your own ranks? "House Jhereg is
SHOCKED to learn of these double-dealings by the Emperor (*mainly because he
tried to deprive us of our cut*). We pledge complete cooperation with the
new administration in rooting out the corruption at all levels of the Court
(*so that we can install loyal corruption that you don't know about*) and
wish the new Emperor a long and productive reign (*because when people have
more money to spend, they give more of it to us!*)."