[Dragaera] Gender imbalance in the Jhereg [_Dzur_ Spoiler]

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Wed Feb 14 11:11:24 PST 2007

Negligible _Dzur_ spoiler follows.

So in _Dzur_ Vlad reiterates that the Right Hand (i.e., "the Jhereg")
is almost all male and the Left Hand is all female.  This has probably
been discussed in depth before, but it seems like a Crack to me that
either Vlad knows very little about 50% of the House, presumably including
the close relatives of his close companions, or that the LH is the same
size as the RH and that any random female Jhereg can be a working
sorcerer.  I also wonder about the situation before the LH was founded,
and why the current division of labor is maintained.

The only answer obvious to me would be that Vlad knows there are many
non-Organization Jhereg but he simply fails to ever mention them (and
their characteristic differences from RH Jhereg).  If so, that means
that e.g. Kragar made the conscious choice to be a RH Jhereg and not
simply a non-criminal Jhereg.  This doesn't fit my view either.