[Dragaera] Gender imbalance in the Jhereg [_Dzur_ Spoiler]

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Wed Feb 14 14:59:03 PST 2007

From: Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu>

> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Jon Lincicum wrote:
>
> > From: Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu>
>
> > I would also imagine that a large number of the non-criminal Jhereg
> > probably go to great lengths to avoid drawing excessive attention to
> > themselves (or at least their House affiliation) due to the stigma
> > created by the Organization.
>
> Then Vlad or Paarfi ought to have mentioned this.  In particular
> Aerich or someone says that the only people whose House cannot
> be identified are Yendi (and Teckla?), doesn't he?

He actually says Yendi and Jhereg. "A Jhereg I would have recognized by his smell." or some such comment follows.

> > It's possible that a number of the "He looked kinda like a Tsalmoth"
> > folks that Vlad has run into may have been Jhereg who were shy about
> > their House afiliation.
>
> Then Vlad might have gotten around to mentioning that possibility.
> E.g. I seem to recall that Nielar gave up his territory - Vlad might
> have said he might have dropped out of the Jhereg entirely.

He gave up his shot at running Tagichatn's old area--but stayed in the Organization, just at a lower level then he'd had previously. He ended up working for Vlad, and was the first casualty in Vlad's war with Laris. (/Yendi/).

> The whispers weren't, I think, for the oddness, but the impropriety.
> And surely there are capable people in the supposed Handless Jhereg,
> people whose interests might often be better aligned with the Empire
> than the House.

Such as the erstwhile Count Soffta, for example?

> Dunno - Vlad (and Paarfi) are interested in the odd and the general and
> the bystander.  One might not be surprised to find an innkeeper in a
> brigand-beset area to be a Look-Ma-No-Hand Jhereg and notable as an
> honest man.

We do also have the example of Tukko, the ruddy-faced proprieter of the Hammerhead Inn.

It's never overtly stated that he was a criminal member of the organization--tho Paarfi does hint that it is possible.