[Dragaera] Gender imbalance in the Jhereg [No Spoilers]

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Fri Feb 16 09:57:31 PST 2007

>Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> writes:
>
>>On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Jon Lincicum wrote:
>>
>>> I seem to recall Kiera telling Vlad that most Jhereg aren't criminals at
>>> all...
>>
>>That would contradict my view, so I'd be eager to see a cite.
>
>ISTR that too, but don't have a cite handy.  I thought it was
>something like "not all Orca are sailors, just as not all Jhereg are
>in the Organization", which implies _Orca_ which isn't part of
>Dragaera search yet.  And Amazon's search for "organization" didn't
>show anything interesting in that book.

...and there it is. /Orca/, omnibus page 330-331:

"But I suspect the real explanation is that, just as most Jhereg have nothing
to do with criminal activity, most Orca live out their whole lives on land,
channeling their mercantile instincts into other pursuits--running banks, for
example."

This is Kiera explaining the design of Vonnith's house, so I would say the
source is rather reliable in this case.

Unless she's lying, of course.