[Dragaera] Gender imbalance in the Jhereg [No Spoilers]

Will Frank wmfrank at stwing.org
Fri Feb 16 13:19:38 PST 2007

Also Sprach Philip Hart:

> > > That seems pretty conclusive.  I'll have to ponder the implications, like
> > > what it is that Jhereg do "on land".
> >
> > Well, we've seen restauranteers, a sword-maker, and we know some have
> > been members of the Imperial Guard.
>
> We don't know if any of those were Handless, though.

The restauranteer was. And as I recall, the conversation about Jhereg
in the Guard goes:

"There have been Jhereg in the Guard. None from the business end, of
course--but people who bought Jhereg titles rather than staying
Houseless."

> My point was, what is it that characterizes Jhereg which most of them
> channel into legal avenues?  Orca are sailors and capitalists - are Jhereg
> criminals and venture capitalists?

Remember what Zerika says about the Jhereg? "Your purpose is to feed
on the Teckla." So, probably, legal gambling (there must be _some_
people who pay taxes), inns and restaurants, maybe even
wink-making--anything which represents a vice, evin if it's legal.

> (Incidentally, I have a vague sense Zerika says something like "I know
> your House is just a front for the Organization.")

No, as I recall, she starts to say "the Organization is going to kill
you for this," but corrects herself to "your friends and your House
are going to know you gave testimony," with the implication about
murderous Organizations. Not quite the same thing.