[Dragaera] Gender imbalance in the Jhereg [No Spoilers]

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Fri Feb 16 14:06:29 PST 2007

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007, Will Frank wrote:

> Also Sprach Philip Hart:

> > > The restauranteer was.
> >
> > Was there any evidence of that?
>
> I think we'd know if Vlad's father was Organization.

Thought you were talking about Tukko.  Here again this is (afawk)
not an important segment of the Jhereg for this discussion.

> > > "There have been Jhereg in the Guard. None from the business end, of
> > > course--but people who bought Jhereg titles rather than staying
> > > Houseless."
> >
> > This seems rather different to me.  Those are Dragaerans of whatever House
> > (maybe not Teckla though) who are only technically Jhereg - they don't
> > have the mish-mash Aliera can recognize.
>
> *shrug* Maybe, maybe not. Maybe some Jhereg who are genetically
> Jhereg, but not Organization, are in the Guard too.

Anything's possible, such as Kiera being wrong and the whole thing
being just a Crack.  If the quote is as you say it's an argument
_against_ there being Handless Jhereg (excluding Nominal Jhereg).

> > This seems like a good take.  The current issue of legal but high-rate
> > loans to soldiers might be a good example.  Still, I find it odd that
> > Vlad speaks of a Jhereg money-lender and means "a RH Jhereg money-lender",
> > and that the distinction never comes up with Kelly's group.
>
> Vlad isn't a Dragaeran. He thinks of the Jhereg and the Organization
> as the same thing because from his perspective, they all are. Double
> for Kelly and company.

Vlad's smart enough to distinguish between a group he works for and
the House he belongs to; if he meets a random Jhereg it may be a matter
of life or death to him.

Kelly and Co aren't stupid, either, and the legal standing of a particular
Jhereg is of great interest to them.