[Dragaera] Gender imbalance in the Jhereg [No Spoilers]

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Fri Feb 16 14:33:25 PST 2007

From: Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu>

> > > This seems like a good take.  The current issue of legal but high-rate
> > > loans to soldiers might be a good example.  Still, I find it odd that
> > > Vlad speaks of a Jhereg money-lender and means "a RH Jhereg money-lender",
> > > and that the distinction never comes up with Kelly's group.
> >
> > Vlad isn't a Dragaeran. He thinks of the Jhereg and the Organization
> > as the same thing because from his perspective, they all are. Double
> > for Kelly and company.
>
> Vlad's smart enough to distinguish between a group he works for and
> the House he belongs to; if he meets a random Jhereg it may be a matter
> of life or death to him.

Vlad's smart, but somewhat lazy. And somewhat prejudiced. And not always honest.

While he may be *able* to make this distinction, he may simply fail to specify in order to
avoid sounding pedantic.

This strikes me as being a believable trait of human nature.

> Kelly and Co aren't stupid, either, and the legal standing of a particular
> Jhereg is of great interest to them.

Again, smart, but even more prejudiced against Dragaerans (at least the "noble" ones)
than Vlad is. And given their creedo, they may simply fail to see any distinction between
"honest" Jhereg and the Organization. In Kelly's terms, they're *all* crooks.