[Dragaera] Gender imbalance in the Jhereg [No Spoilers]

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Fri Feb 16 14:51:32 PST 2007

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007, Jon Lincicum wrote:

> From: Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu>
> >
> > Vlad's smart enough to distinguish between a group he works for and
> > the House he belongs to; if he meets a random Jhereg it may be a matter
> > of life or death to him.
>
> Vlad's smart, but somewhat lazy. And somewhat prejudiced. And not always honest.
>
> While he may be *able* to make this distinction, he may simply fail to specify in order to
> avoid sounding pedantic.

A good deal of the Texts is devoted to introducing the world.  V says
that the Jhereg is made up of the RH and the LH, doesn't he?  Dropping
the majority of the House is not a way to avoid sounding pedantic.

> > Kelly and Co aren't stupid, either, and the legal standing of a particular
> > Jhereg is of great interest to them.
>
> Again, smart, but even more prejudiced against Dragaerans (at least the "noble" ones)
> than Vlad is. And given their creedo, they may simply fail to see any distinction between
> "honest" Jhereg and the Organization. In Kelly's terms, they're *all* crooks.

They claim I think to understand the Jhereg better than the Jhereg do.
Knowing the situation of the Jhereg vis-a-vis the Empire is vital to them.