[Dragaera] Gender imbalance in the Jhereg [No Spoilers]

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Sat Feb 17 08:03:03 PST 2007

Davdi Silverrock wrote:
> On 2/16/07, Jon Lincicum wrote:
>

>> ...and there it is. /Orca/, omnibus page 330-331:
>>
>> "But I suspect the real explanation is that, just as most Jhereg have nothing
>> to do with criminal activity, most Orca live out their whole lives on land,
>> channeling their mercantile instincts into other pursuits--running banks, for
>> example."
>>

> I was thinking -- and this is kind of speculative, so I don't have any
> source other than a vague hunch -- that even Jhereg that aren't part
> of the Organization are often affiliated with it regardless.  So they
> might own restaurants that assassinations are performed in or
> Organization meetings are held in, and it's understood that if asked,
> they didn't see or hear anything.  If they own shops, the shops might
> sell things that, even if they aren't illegal, are really only useful
> for the sorts of things that Organization members want.  For example,
> Jhereg tailors might sell cloaks and shirts with custom strong but
> narrow pockets in the back, useful for, say, holding throwing knives.
> And so on.

Not implausible. But difficult to prove one way or the other with
existing evidence.

> Vlad's father never paid money to Jhereg area owners, but his
> restaurant was chosen for to ice someone.  Coincidence?  Or because as
> a member of House Jhereg, it was assumed that he would do the expected
> (by the Organization) thing?

Or maybe the murder was there simply because the victim was there? Since
Jhereg were the main
customers at the place, it may be nothing more than that. In all his
assassination attempts, Vlad never
once talks about how he chose a place to "work" because the owner was
another Jhereg....