[Dragaera] The Unrecorded Cracks

Maximilian Wilson wilson.max at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 15:07:00 PST 2007

On 2/18/07, Michael Wojcik <mwojcik at newsguy.com> wrote:
> [This is rather late, but I haven't seen anyone else cite this passage,
> so...]
>
> Maximilian Wilson wrote:
> > Except that Morrolan's memory is obviously bad, since the context of
> > the conversation is that he knows sorcery doesn't work near the Falls,
> > having been there when Zerika was. But Morrolan grew up during the
> > Interregnum and so couldn't have known sorcery then anyway--except,
> > wait. Morrolan is known to dabble in Elder Sorcery. I suppose it's
> > possible that's what he was talking about.
>
> Except that Elder Sorcery apparently does work near the falls, at least
> according to Paarfi:
>
> "Orlaan scowled, and lifted her hand, palm out.  Tazendra, for her part,
> matched this gesture by quickly raising the staff that had been hanging
> from her saddle.  Orlaan scowled and, evidently not prepared to face a
> sorcerous duel with someone who was obviously a wizard, lowered her hand."
>
> (/The Paths of the Dead/, "Battle Above Deathgate", 329; this takes
> place at the top of the falls)
>
> It wouldn't be much of a "sorcerous duel" if Elder Sorcery didn't work
> there; and while no actual sorcery took place, had Morrolan been there,
> presumably he would have come to the same conclusion as Paarfi - that ES
> would have worked.  (Though I suppose it's possible he would have

Hmm. So whether or not Morrolan knew Elder Sorcery and/or has
Tazendra's memories, Paarfi's account just plain doesn't match
Morrolan's. Interesting.

-Maximilian

--
Be pretty if you are, be witty if you can,
But be cheerful if it kills you.

Everything in Windows is very simple, but the simplest thing is difficult.
    -Clausewitz