[Dragaera] Ascension Day

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 08:03:24 PST 2007

On 3/5/07, Jon Lincicum wrote:

> I notice that the "Ascension Day" holiday is mentioned by Vlad in
> /Dzur/, and also in /Brokedown Palace/.  (Both times in reference to
> someone's face lighting up.)
>
> But the fact that it is, apparently, celebrated both in Fenario, and
> also in the Empire, makes me think that perhaps this holiday is
> celebrated all over Dragaera...  I was struck with the thought that this
> holiday could commemorate the Ascension of the gods, and the expulsion
> of the Jenoine--this being about the only thing I could think of that
> both Dragaerans and Easterners would be in complete agreement about
> celebrating.

"Ascension Day" sounded vaguely familiar, and a quick Google confirms
that it is a Christian holiday celebrating the ascension of Jesus into
heaven, and takes place in the May/June timeframe (presumably varying
because of the variation in the date of Easter).  OK, probably nothing
to do with the Ascension Day in question.

Here's another thought, which seems more likely to me:  Ascension Day
is the celebration (of the anniversary?) of the current ruler
ascending to the throne.  Obviously, these would both be important
holidays in their respective cultures, the one for the ascension of
King Laszlo, the other for the ascension of Empress Zerika IV, but
(probably) completely different days.