[Dragaera] Castle Black

dovekie dovekie at gmail.com
Wed May 9 16:08:53 PDT 2007

On 5/9/07, Jon Lincicum <lincicum at comcast.net> wrote:
> So...
>
> Re-reading "Lord of Castle Black", I notice that Castle Black's continued levitation seems to depend on the ongoing efforts of Morrolan's Circle of Witches. At least, according to Paarfi, in the immediate aftermath of the Battle of Dzur Mountain, it does.
>
> This strikes me as an extremely tenuous situation for a major structure inhabited by hundreds of individuals a half mile in the air.
>
> What if there were an epidemic? Or some bozo with a Great Weapon broke in and slaughtered all the witches? Or if the tower where the witches were gathered collapsed?
>
> Would the whole castle suddenly fall out of the sky? Or has the levitation perhaps been made more permanent in some fashion?
>
> It also seems a lot to ask of a witch to have to spend 8-10 hours a day, 5 days a week, sitting in a circle with 16 other witches chanting. Do they ever get any time off? Wouldn't this get rather tiresome after two and a half centuries? (Especially for Easterners?)
>
> Any thoughts?

If it were me, I'd make the witchcraft spell that makes it levitate
permanent, and then add the sorcerous version on top of that, just in
case.

Of course, given Morrolan's temperament, I'm not sure he'd want to
hide the fact that his house runs on Eastern witchcraft.  He can
always get more witches.

sarah
--
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."