[Dragaera] agnosticism (no flame) (was, long ago: (no spoilers) The 17 [Great Weapons])

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Tue May 22 10:19:33 PDT 2007

Philip Hart wrote:
> On Mon, 21 May 2007, Mark A. Mandel wrote:
>

>> I'm a consistent agnostic: I don't know, and I don't think anyone else
>> does either.
>>

> This reasonable position is also known as giving up - it obliges you to
> not disbelieve in an afterlife ruled by the malevolent Barney, in the
> eternal conflict between Mr. Mxyztplk and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer,
> and in Devera's active participation on this list.

Kinda sorta, but not absolutely.  I find no cause to believe in any kind
of afterlife at all.  I certainly can't *prove* there is none, but there
is no evidence *for* the proposition.  So it sits in the same limbo as
infinitely many other propositions with no evidence; and occupies no
particularly preferred place in that limbo.  I don't see that as faith,
but as rational pruning of the tree.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/dd-b
Pics: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum, http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery