[Dragaera] agnosticism (no flame) (was, long ago: (no spoilers) The 17 [Great Weapons])

Ken Koester kkoester at email.ers.usda.gov
Tue May 22 10:56:41 PDT 2007

Howard Brazee wrote:

>Steve Rapaport wrote:
>

>>Right.   But  even disbelieving in such things is an act of faith and
>>therefore, by Gorelick's argument, not rational.   I can't see how
>>disbelieving in the malevolent Barney afterlife or Devera's participation
>>makes me a better person than those who hypothetically might believe in
>>them.
>>

>That is a common statement made by theists about atheists.   But I
>haven't seen atheists agree that it is true.

I don't doubt it; it would be galling to have to admit that ultimately
your arguments against a set of beliefs amount to a belief in
themselves, there being no objective evidence of any kind to bear on the
issue, either for or against.  All too soon you will *know* one way or
the other--why sweat it?

Snarkhunter