[Dragaera] agnosticism (no flame) (was, long ago: (no spoilers) The 17 [Great Weapons])

Maximilian Wilson wilson.max at gmail.com
Tue May 22 12:25:33 PDT 2007

On 5/22/07, Ken Koester <kkoester at email.ers.usda.gov> wrote:

> Howard Brazee wrote:
>
> >Instead of the Easter Bunny, I don't believe in a pink house with a
> >purple polka-dotted roof in Seattle - there might be one, and if shown
> >some evidence, I could easily acquire a belief.
> >

> Whereas I neither belief nor disbelieve in said pink house with etc.
> And if you show me evidence either way, I won't *need* to believe--I'll
> *know*.

I disbelieve in said pink house, and I cite as evidence that pink houses
with polka-dotted roofs are nonexistent in any city I've ever been in. I
don't *strongly* disbelief in said house to the extent that I would deny it
if I was shown evidence, but in a Bayesian sense my prior belief is that the
house does not exist.

-Max

--
Be pretty if you are, be witty if you can,
But be cheerful if it kills you.

Everything in Windows is very simple, but the simplest thing is difficult.
    -Clausewitz