[Dragaera] agnosticism (no flame) (was, long ago: (no spoilers) The 17 [Great Weapons])

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Wed May 23 11:11:27 PDT 2007

On 5/23/2007 Alain Feeny wrote:
>  The answer of course being that the nature of God is to be unknowable.

That is the answer when other methodologies fail and we don't wish to
discard the concept altogether.   Except that most theists seem to know
what god wants (even as they disagree with other theists).

In Dragaera I there are interactions that can be measured, statistics to
be gathered, and conclusions to be drawn.   The gods do exist (or at
least interact) within nature and are thus natural.

Which leads to the question "What is supernatural?".   Vlad has left his
world in at least 2 different places, and I don't know what is outside
the tower at Castle Black.   Are those places natural?    I would say
that if it exists, it is natural.   If there is no hard evidence that it
exists, it is supernatural.   Since magic exists in Dragaera, it is part
of nature, and science applies.