[Dragaera] agnosticism (no flame) (was, long ago: (no spoilers) The 17 [Great Weapons])

Kenneth Gorelick pulmon at mac.com
Wed May 23 12:52:59 PDT 2007

On May 23, 2007, at 1:36 PM, Alain Feeny wrote:

> <SNIP>
> slight topic variation: The world is and apparently has been for as
> long as we've bothered to record history just full of people who hear
> "God" or "voices" every day. Most of the time these people are
> considered delusional and (hopefully) treated for mental illness.

If you talk to god, it is prayer.
If god talks to you, it is psychosis. Unless you are Joan of Arc.

> <snip>

> But what does all this have to do with Dragaera?
>
> AMF

Two things:

1.  Dragaera is a world that, by intent or not, explores the
relationship between the gods and everyone else, and the Dragaeran
gods appear positively Clarkian
2.  We have not had a new Dragaera novel in a while, so belief,
nonbelief, agnosticism and the variants are at least as much fun as
asking how far Steve has gotten...