[Dragaera] OT: agnosticism (no flame) (was, long ago: (no spoilers) The 17 [Great Weapons])

Mark A. Mandel thnidu at yahoo.com
Sun May 27 19:51:42 PDT 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu>

But of course there is objective evidence against Rudolph the Red-Nosed
Reindeer's cosmic battles with Mr. Mxtlplk and every other religion -
none has any evidence for it, or explanatory power, or susceptibility
to disproof, or moral utility, or compatibility with reason.  I don't know
the Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't exist - I just don't believe in Him.
That doesn't require some special belief in itself.

English is ambiguous here, as are many languages. "I don't believe X" can mean either of
I believe not-XIt is not the case that I believe XI think a lot of what's being said in this thread is rooted in confusion between the two.

Your statement "I don't know the Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't exist - I just don't believe in Him", especially with the "just" in there, looks to me more like #2 than like #1.

-- Dr. Whom, Consulting Linguist, Grammarian, Orthoëpist, and Philological Busybody
   a.k.a. Mark A. Mandel