[Dragaera] Speculation on weapons and sorcery

dovekie dovekie at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 14:27:22 PDT 2007

On 6/25/07, Davdi Silverrock <davdisil at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/25/07, Howard Brazee wrote:
>
> > It is interesting to note that in our world there are some ancient sling
> > stones with curses printed on them (I don't remember whether
> > these were clay with stamped curses or what).
>
> I vaguely remember seeing something about those.  They might have been
> sharp shards of pottery, like ostrakons, and the curses scratched on.
> Or perhaps stamped hollow fired clay, meant to fragment on impact.

It is my understanding that these were made of lead and stamped with
words. The example I remember was used by a certain king of Macedon,
and said "From Philip."

I have also been told (though not by a reputable source) that slings
and bows do not evolve together -- the argument being that a
civilization which has one has no need of the other.

--
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."